With IFBB pro and swimsuit model Whitney Wiser
By Rebekah Clementson
“Plyometrics are a form of bodyweight exercise that requires no equipment and involve quick, explosive types of movement. They help improve leg strength, muscle power, acceleration, balance, agility, and vertical jumps.” **
This final installment of this bikini ready series focuses on the legs. While strength training is vital to improving muscular definition and tightness (plus one of the top ways to burn fat!), plyometrics is an added component to your program that helps fine tune the look of your legs while also increasing speed and athleticism. To help us out, I reached out to Whitney Wiser who is a top IFBB Bikini pro, sponsored athlete, NPC judge and has also been part of test-shoots for Sports Illustrated Swim! Her favorite body part to train is legs, and here is one of her top workouts:
Plyo Circuit for Lean Legs!
4 rounds, 30 seconds on each exercise
- Lateral Squat Hops – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM8eOORwVtE
- Scissor Pop Squats – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UHhNL7_0P8
- Running Lunge (Right leg) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIMmNonsunw
- Running Lunge (Left Leg)
- 60 seconds rest
4 rounds, 60 seconds each exercise
- DB Swings (squeeze glutes at top) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn4HhfLi7_c
- Pistol Squat Hops (30 sec each leg) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNkGqW54qg
- Front Squats – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-HOgaemehE
- Alternating Jump Lunges (i don’t have a video for this one but I can make one today lol)
- 60 seconds rest
One thing I also chatted with Whitney about were supplements. The supplement industry can sometimes be plagued with unhealthy items, claims that are unrealistic, and the like. I really trust Whitney, and asked her if supplements are necessary and, if so, which ones does she recommend? Most supplements are just that- supplements. So, although they are not necessary, there are a few that can help in a routine where some nutrients are lacking. Here are the three that Whitney listed and she also added in who would benefit from them and why:
- Multi-Vitamin– definitely beneficial for anyone to take, but especially when you start training because your body may not be able to get ALL the nutrients it needs with food alone. I recommend taking with a meal, and after you’ve consumed at least 1-2 meals in the day. If you have a sensitive stomach like mine at times, vitamins/minerals can make you feel a little sick if you don’t have enough food on your stomach first. So either take with a meal in the middle of the day or at night.
- Whey Protein– protein shakes are a great way to make sure you are taking in enough protein even if and when you can’t actually eat a meal. Remember, whole foods are always better than supplements; however, using whey protein as a meal replacement is definitely way better than just not eating or going too long between meals. Your body needs protein to support your muscles, your cardiovascular system, your immune system, and more. These are NOT meant for “bulking” as most girls have a huge misconception about. There are whey protein isolates that are simply a pure form of protein, without fat, carbs, or sugar, that will actually aid you in losing fat and maintaining your lean muscle mass.
- Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs)– these are also a “must” to aid with training. They can help prevent muscle fatigue, aid in muscle recovery, and support muscle protein synthesis. When I train, I drink them while I’m training so that they are digested and in my system by the time I’m finished with my workout.
“Thanks so much to Whitney and all of the other women who have been part of this ‘bikini-ready series’ for Luxe Life! The idea behind the series was to have a basic guide of how to get in shape and also STAY in great shape all year! I hope all of you enjoyed it as much as I did!
If you have any topics you’d like me to address in the health/fitness section of LuxeLife, feel free to send me an email, or DM, or leave a comment on my blog here! At LuxeLife, we want to help You reach Your goals so hearing from you is a top priority!” – Rebekah C.
More info on Whitney: